Thursday, July 23, 2009

July 21st

Yesterday the plan was to give Dad a spinal tap and take about 10% of his spinal fluid in hopes of temporarily reducing the size of the fluid filled ventricles in his brain in hopes of seeing him come around a bit more and also to look for infection. The first attempt at the spinal tap was done in his room. They tried 3 times w/out success. He has had back problems most of his adult life and apparently has some arthritis there as well as a degenerative disc problem. SO they ended up having radiology do the spinal tap w/ guidance. They were successful. We don't know if there is any infection yet and, unfortunately, we did not see any change in his neurological status either. They say he does not do any "purposeful" things or follow commands. I have some him do some of each but not consistently. I do feel like he has his moments when he is "there" and in those moments all I see on his face are sadness and fear.

This morning they decided to start him on a heparin drip. They feel the risk of the clots are greater at this point than the risk of a bleed (which they don't anticipate happening). They are checking his blood every few hours to make sure things are okay. I believe they will do another CT tomorrow to check for any changes in his brain and lungs.

They are really stumped as to why he is not neurologically doing more and why he's not following commands. According to his CT he should be showing improvement. At the very least they feel like he should be talking a bit, following commands consistently and moving that right side a lot more. A secondary infection or something would cause delay but so far they have not found one. Perhaps he just needs more time? I don't know. Only time will tell. I hate to feel the way I do, frustrated, hopeless, angry.......but I'm only human. I think we all are starting to feel this way. It is so hard, day after day after day, to see him lying there, terrified and trapped in his body.

My faith is being tested for sure........I'm digging deep!

16 comments:

  1. and we are all praying for your dad healing.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up this morning feeling helpless...hopeless...angry...sad and frustrated. My faith is certainly being tested. I clicked on to the blog..to see if you updated...and saw the comment my friend Sky left about P.U.S.H. ...and never giving up.(pray until something happens) I cried and felt that was a message. I will never give up...but you're right...we're all feeling a little weary and hopeless after a month of this. Poor dad has been through so much. He doesn't deserve it. We just want some small sign...ray of hope to cling to. We're not getting it. Everyone all over the world is praying for his recovery. If love alone could heal him...he'd be whole. I miss him so..and at times cannot stand to be here in this house. I had the radio on in the car...and one of his fave Christian songs came on..."When life is broken.." I lost it. Was he trying to send me a message of hope...telling me to remain strong and hold on to faith? Hate seeing the fear in his eyes...God is good...maybe time...Kraig aways says that God will answer in his own time. We have to believe...I know it's hard...and keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's really hard, but keep the faith. Your Dad always believes and has faith..let that be your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading this wonderful blog from afar, and today I broke down. I was looking at the wonderful picture of Kraig and his grandchildren and I just started bawling. I looked into his eyes and told him that I know he is fighting really hard, but asked him to please, please if there is any way possible that he can fight harder, please, please do! Because all of these wonderful people need him. Sherry... she sounds so sad.. and Aunt Geri.. it would just not be right if she had to bear the loss of a child. And those beautiful children and grandchildren...look at their sweet faces with their "Poppy"! Yes, I asked him to please, please, please fight extra, extra hard. And I prayed to God to please make him well.. XOXOXO Debbie in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to stop by and see if there was an update. I am remembering your family in my prayers.
    Tammy Milligan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dont be intimidated by the severity of the illness , you have to believe and pray in faith ...be confident in your faith , all of us need that confidence , pray in faith in Him ...the Almighty can do it all , He listen if you speak loud enough ...
    Sherry and family , Lisa , sometimes I dont know what to say , Im so touched by all this ... I just want to let you know that my concern is real and I think you are very brave to have this blog to share your pain , but at the same time joining the world in prayers, which is an act of love and God is love . So , yes Kraig can get better with love only , just send it with power and faith ...
    love to all

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you all so much...special hugs for Sherry! May tomorrow be a more hopeful day! Never give up...never!!
    L.R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. btw , Thanks for the update Lisa ...
    Sherry , my friend, I dont like virtual today , I want to hug you for real , Im hugging you now ...
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry you have seen no progress lately - I know how hard it is and what you all must be going through. Just keep your faith and know that people all over the world are praying for Kraig's recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Peggy V

    ReplyDelete
  10. My cousin had something quite exactly like this. He was sent to many hospitals because no one could find out why he didn't come out of his coma-like state. One day he woke up and didn't remember all the hospitals he had been in or that he had been sick! That was 10 months ago. He is doing just fine now and still no ne knows what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last comment gives hope and that is what you all need now. Don't give up on your loved one or God. We don't know why things like this happens especially to someone so good, but God is in control and you have to keep believing He will do what is best for everyone. I wish I could say something more encouraging, I just don't have the words to help, but I am still praying for you all. If I could I would wrap my arms around you and give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sweetie I wish there was something I could do to help..all I can is pray, pray pray..you are so much in my thoughts..lots of love..
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wishing and hoping and praying for all of you!!
    Greta~adores~pink

    ReplyDelete
  14. lisa sherry and family..praying for all of you too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying that there has been some progress and that they have been able to isolate what is causing the fever. I praying too that the filter has worked and that there is no danger in that area now. My thoughts are with every day and night. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lisa - Sarena, Adlelaide and Darren here, we are thinking of you and your family at this time, I am confident things will work out, we are thinking and sending all our best wishes your families way - From a Land Down Under !

    ReplyDelete