Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 20th

I was too tired to update last night.......12 hours at the hospital takes everything out of you.

My dad had a major set back yesterday. I had told my mom to take the morning off so I arrived to find him having trouble breathing. The respiratory therapists were w/ him. His heart rate was 92 and his respiration, which had been 30, was at 45. I held his hand for 40 minutes while they worked on him. I have never, in my whole life, been so afraid.

When they stabilized him they took him down for a CT of his head and lungs. The Neurosurgeon resident that we've been dealing with, who I don't care for at all, said he'd be come back w/ the results right away. After an hour and 1/2 a medical student, who's been wonderful to us through all of this, said he'd go find him. So, said Neurosurgeon comes back w/ a mouth full of food apologizing for the delay and saying that his blood sugar was low and he had to eat something (OMG) and then w/ a mouth full of food says "anyway, Kraig has had a pulmonary embolism!". Turns out he had a blood clot in each lung and the ultrasound showed a DVT (deep vein thrombosis--blood clot) in his left leg that was on the move. They made the decision to put a filter in his Vena Cava to stop the other clot from moving. Normally they would give heprin in this situation but b/c of the brain bleed, they can't. The Dr. yesterday said this could cause his death (the PE). It's serious but we're praying!!!!!!!

On a positive note---the CT we saw yesterday showed that the bleed is considerably smaller and that the left side of the brain looks unaffected. The neurosurgeon felt hopeful b/c he said this is the side of the brain that does all the cognitive thinking, speech, etc. BUT his ventricles are swollen and he has a little hydrocephalus. If he requires more drainage they will need to drain from his spine as they took the drain out of his head a few days ago (too prematurely if you ask me and I questioned it when they did it). He feels like his progess has been slow b/c of all these secondary infections/problems. If my dad can get over this latest hurdle.......I think he'll start to see progess.

I just checked in w/ the hospital to see how his night was. She said it was good. There is no evidence of the clots moving. We just need to wait and pray and hope the clots are absorbed.

PRAY!

17 comments:

  1. I am praying so hard for him Lisa, huge hugs to you, hang in there my friend. Lots of love. Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an urgent need last night to pray for Kraig and now I see why. I am praying harder and know that God is listening. I am so sorry this setback has happened but we must stay strong and faithful. I know the fear and anxiety. I know the anger and frustration. Tell him that you are fighting for him and that you are not going to let anything happen to him. I hold all of you up in His name. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More and more prayers for Kraig , God will listen ..
    big hug for the entire family

    love

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, he's really going through some stuff, isn't he? I'm sorry to hear about the setback, but he's strong and he has all of you - and all of us - praying for him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    Peggy V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa!
    I'm praying. I'm so sorry for your day, I hope that there will be more good news today and I hope it comes in a much better delivery. That is completely unacceptable. It is disheartening to know that while you are faced with such hardship you have to rely on a rude, uncaring, inconsiderate doctor. He/She should be mortified by their behavior!!! Maybe even a report filed.
    Now, back to your father, I am praying for you all, I pray for good news today. I pray that his recovery, while moving slow, keeps moving in the right direction.
    hugs to you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you!

    My mom's life was saved by a Greenfield filter after she threw a clot following surgery from a terrible car accident about 9 years ago.

    You have my continuing prayers! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear he's had a setback.....but am glad he seems to have stabilized.
    --many, many prayers going up for your dad, and your family.....prayers for healing, & strength.... and lots of love and hugs sent your way, too...
    {{{{{Hugs}}}}}
    ~Babs
    (Flickr)
    bhyde1696@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words fail me but thoughts and prayers don't..keep the faith! Hugs to you all.
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK,,,,,,this may be a blessing in disguise. That fliter will FOREVER prevent a blood clot from reaching his heart. My Mom had to have this done. And we are so glad she did. It saved her life. Blood clots are not unusal with inactivity. I know it was a trying day, but be positive. Once he is able to get up and move around, the clots will be less and less. They caught it in time and took correct action.

    The CT sounds very promising news. Once things start to clear up, I too think you all will see a huge change.

    Keep the faith. Sending hugs and prayers.

    Michele (lizardgal)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping this is not a setback but more of another step in his recovery. Lisa, I am praying for your day each and every day. He knows you and your family are by his side, loving him more than ever. XOXOXOXO Monica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Lisa,
    We are praying sooo hard all during each day. Now we shall hear good news, it is darkest before the dawn, just remember that.
    My love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending constant prayers every single moment!! I trust soon that he'll be back with us all....yummy aromas from his creations in the kitchen and playing chess with Carter. Prayers to Kraig and all of you for healing and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Lisa, I am just catching up on your blog this morning so this is the first I read of this post. I am so sorry to hear about this setback. I am praying for you and your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we are sending a truckload of prayers to your family, for recovery, improved health and that the medical staff can assist your mom and dad in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am still praying. Don't let them rush you into anything. Sounds like things are improving. They will try to get their patients out too soon. They always do that.
    Love and hugs and strength. xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete