Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Dad the chef.........

Ask anybody who's tried it,
my Dad makes,
hands down,
the BEST pizza EVER!
It's been a while since I've had it.
We used to tell him that he needed to open a pizza joint and name it "Poppy's Pizza".
Apparently he made it like a week before his stroke.
I didn't get to have any.
I hope I get to have some again.

And cinnamon rolls.........
oooey, gooey perfection.
I used to love to watch him make them.
He'd flour up the counter and spread the dough,
butter it up, roll it, stretch it, sprinkle it.......
I can smell them now.
Brings me back to a late Sunday afternoon winter as a kid.

He used to make us breakfast for dinner.
We always loved that.
He'd make fried dough sometimes.
Other times he would wrap those little smokies in dough......
we'd have them w/ maple syrup.

And spaghetti w/ pepperoni in the sauce.......
and eggs benedict........
homemade french fries
and homemade fudge on Christmas Eve..........
slightly burnt toll house cookies (every time)
and there was lots and lots of Jiffy Pop on the stove top too.

My sister sent this to me today......her and Dad!

7 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd check the blog before bed...cannot sleep tonite. Finding it hard to get comfy in that big empty and lonely bed. Dad made the pizza the day before the stroke. I asked him to make it. He didn't really want to....but he obliged. We had it for lunch...after his walk...minutes before his stroke. Never forget that. Feeling very sad and lonely tonite..missing my best friend. That photo is awesome. I took that at Debra Kay's wedding at StJohn's club...what a sunset that night over the water. We had a fun time. I miss him so...hoping that God sends back my husband...and yours and Marc and Heather's dad...Carter, Delaney, Deven and Jillian's poppy...and beloved friend to many. My heart is just so broken...I have to be strong and not question why..cause dad would say it's God's will and not ours to question...but.....good night, sweet girl...and thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some very precious memories of your father. I hope you have more wonderful memories to make with him.


    I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to him, and he answered my prayer. Psalm 120:1, NLT

    ReplyDelete
  3. nyumm!! the best chef in the world are men..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ari---first of all thank you for all your wonderful words the last few weeks. It means a lot to us.

    Second of all--- there is nobody, in this world, that is a better cook than my mom (I run a close 2nd though, haha). Seriously, she is the best!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is so broken for all of you. Hope you can sleep a bit, cause the family needs you Sherry!! Have faith, love and HOPE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't go to my bed at night without checking in and I must be feeling your Mom's insomnia pangs...I am late tonight!

    What a wonderful photograph and for your Mom great memories...cherish them and you all will make new memories...I feel it in my heart!

    I do love me a man who cooks!! Hurry home, Mr. Kraig the Chef...you are missed!

    Peace to you all,
    Lila Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to read this ...and hungry now , hehe
    my dad is better at cooking than mum , but i see in your case Sherry rules ! ;-)
    keep the faith !
    love

    Andy

    ReplyDelete