Saturday, August 15, 2009

August 15th

Just a quick update, as I run out the door, to let you know my dad continues to make progress. He follows more and more commands every day. I put a mouth swab in his hand the other day and he brought it to his mouth and tried to brush his teeth w/ it. So I got him a toothbrush and he brushed his teeth w/ it :) When I showed him a sign that my Aunt suggested we make for above his bed, stating which channels he likes to watch (ESPN and NESN) he gave me a BIG thumbs up! He's been receiving lots of physical and occupational therapy and they say he's doing well. Yesterday they used the board to stand him up and he's been getting chair time as well. He still is not moving that left side though. All in due time.

My Aunt sent a book for us to read. It's a story about a lady named Kate Adamson who suffered a stroke at the age of 33. She was completely paralyzed and spent 71 days in ICU. She doesn't have use of her left arm and walks w/ a limp but made a miraculous recovery. She had what they call "locked in syndrome". She was aware of everything being said and could feel everything being done to her but could not communicate at all. I haven't been able to put the book down. Guess what day she had her stroke? June 29th, same day as my dad (although not the same year). There are SO many similarities between what she suffered and what my Dad is suffering through. I can't help but feel that God led my Aunt to her website one night to find this book and share it w/ us. Thanks Stacy. This book has helped me understand what my father probably is feeling and going through and has given me SO.MUCH.HOPE! I can't wait to pass it on to my mother. xo

He's ready to go to rehab next week I believe. We can't wait for that to happen.

xo

8 comments:

  1. I just KNEW that he knows and has known what has been going on and feeling things!! He couldn't get it out and of course probably didn't like the huge group of neuros that were on his case last month. God is good!!! I am so happy that Kraig is making so much progress and is getting up out of bed. Being able to read the signs and know what they mean...sooooooo awesome!!! More and more progress is going to come each day!! Bless you all, love and hugs!!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that your dad is making so much progress and I'm sure there is much more to come and the biggest improvement will probably happen in rehab.
    The angels are looking after your dad.
    Bless you all and you're all still in my prayers

    Stéphanie (Baloochester)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good, Lisa!

    Diana (and Allison)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up on that left side yet. I have to go back to my Dad as an example, he had problems with his right side, but with the rehab he was able to shave, comb his hair, bath, feed himself, pretty much everything he was able to do before. He was right handed. He did have to wear a brace on his right foot, so it wouldn't curl in and was in a wheel chair. Rehab did wonders for him and his self esteem. He also started out with first grade work and was doing eighth grade work before coming home. Rehab also helped his speaking. They would take them on field trips to the store. They had to buy something and pay for it and count out the correct change. He thought that was really something special. We got all sorts of trinkets from these trips. I still have all of mine. :-) He wanted to quit may times, but we just kept pushing him. *You can't come home until you do this and that.* I know he thought we were mean. But, he was so glad to get home.

    Great news this update. Happy dance again today!!! Still sending well wishes and a boat load of hugs. xoxoxoxo

    Michele (lizardgal)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful news, I'm so glad he's on the road to recovery. I agree, rehab will be great for him, and he will just have to keep going from there. We will continue praying and sending healing vibes to all of you!

    Peggy Vandevier

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember feeling joyful and grateful when I saw my niece sit on her hospital bed with a nurse on each side of her ~ and later taking small steps down the long hospital corridor with a therapist on each side of her. I pray that you will witness many signs of strength and many miracles of healing as Kraig participates in rehabilitation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful news , yay !
    now i'll read the other post :)
    love you !

    ReplyDelete