Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11th

Dad is still moving in the right direction. He is VERY alert now and staying awake most of the day. Loves to watch ESPN. The Nuero team finally figured out that he won't "perform" when 6 of them come in but he will if one or two of them come in alone. That is so my Dad. He hates crowds. They make him nervous. Glad to see that part of his personality is still intact. Yesterday they got him out of bed and into a chair. I had left already but my mom said he really seemed to enjoy that. He didn't even mind his helmet. He will need to wear that when he is out of bed and/or doing physical therapy until they replace the bone flap that they removed to make room for his brain to swell. They will put that bone back eventually. It makes me sad that they will need to cut him again---especially now that the area is all healed and his hair is growing back. Seriously though, isn't modern medicine amazing? It blows me away the things these Doctors are capable of.

Just keep praying for his respiratory health. I know getting that trach out will be a HUGE step in his recovery process. In order for that trach to come out he needs those secretions to go away. In order for that to happen he needs to be doing deep breathing, moving around and coughing strong. All those things that we do, w/out giving it a second thought, to keep our lungs clear.

Yesterday his Doctor mentioned rehab again and said that if they can get his respiratory care in order he may go as soon as this week. We still aren't sure where he is going at this point but this will be so good for him. He needs to get busy. No more lying there watching t.v. This will occupy his mind and motivate him. He is very emotional right now, as you can imagine. I can see it's very easy for him to shut his eyes and "tune out".........BUT I think he will thrive at rehab. I am so excited to see continued progress.

As always, thanks for your continued thoughts & prayers!

xo

15 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled that everyday your dad is making progress ! It's such a good news ! I'm sure he'll be happy in rehab as it'll keep him busy and he will make more and more progress.
    I keep praying for your dad and you all

    Stéphanie (baloochester)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad that they will have to cut at the place where he has healed already, but if that will improve his life, hey, Hair always grows again.....
    He is doing so, so well and I am so, so happy for you, your mum and the rest of your wonderful, caring family!!
    Look after your mum as well, I think she is very weary by now.
    Hugs,
    Greta-adores-pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to see the light at the end of this tunnel. I am smiling for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to hear of your dad's progress!!
    {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}
    Prayers are still coming!!!
    ~Babs
    (Flickr / Alabama)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    This posting made me get such a lump in my throat, I wanted to cry but they would indeed have been tears of joy! It does bring back a lot of memories of all the struggles associated with recovery but having people you love around you such as your Dad has will make that journey so much easier for him. Has made it so already.
    You are an amazing family, keep the faith, keep the positive energies going...there will be no end to little victories til one day you notice you have all won the war!!
    Kraig, since I have said from the beginning I know you will be reading this one day...you have a beautiful family, they love you dearly, and that love has been contagious around the cyberworld! Welcome back!!
    Peace and prayer ♥ L.R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news, the fact that your Dad responds to one or two people but not to the crowd, is a wonderful indication that he is in control of what he is doing.
    Once he is receiving physio and getting more active exercise and also sitting out in a chair, all these will help his respiratory healh and hopfully his trachie will soon be removed.
    I remember when my husbands was removed and i heard his voice for the first time, boy did i cry but they were tears of joy.
    Thank you for taking the time to update as i am sure you have a million and one things to do.
    Best wishes to you all.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lisa and Sherry and the family!!! This is fantastic news!! I am so happy, beaming from ear to ear here! I had to laugh when I read he wouldn't do what they wanted when there was a large crowd around! I knew it!! You have painted such a good picture of your dad, Lisa, that I know his personality! My son and my dad were the same way. If they felt uncomfortable around things or people, they pretty much would clam up. My son is much better about it now, thank heavens. I am so thrilled that this new neuro team has the brains and concern to figure out what was holding Kraig back from following commands. Seems as though this group truly cares about their patient and not just the disease. Glory be!!! Yes, with more exercise and deep coughing, the trach will come out and oh boy, what a difference that will make!!! Thank you so much for the update. My heart is singing and my eyes are streaming...from happiness. Positive thoughts and P U S Hing all the time!! Love and hugs, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! I'm so glad the new Neuro team gave him a chance, and boy did he take it! You're right, he needs to get busy now and move around and get on the track to normalcy. We are sending positive vibes, prayers, and thoughts to all of you.

    Peggy V

    ReplyDelete
  9. your dad is a fighter Lisa and I am sure he will be getting better soon...its a long road but with a wonderful family like you all,,he will make it...still sending prayers everyday..you are the first ones I think of in the morning when i open my eyes..God Bless you all...

    hugs
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news Lisa , sure rehab will be good for him in all aspects, he will PUSH harder , I know, he is a man of faith and heart .
    From Chile , keep sending you prayers in positive faith , and PUSHing with you all .
    Much love,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, I am so happy to hear he is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what wonderful news..I haven't taken time to check in on the latest..so much is going the positive way! just wonderful..will continue to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers..you are all so brave and strong..God is working in all your lives...♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im still here , happy he is on the mend . It's a slowly and rocky path , but he'll get there .
    Sending love and prayers to the entire family .
    Keep PUSHing .
    Hugs,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  14. more prayers and healing prayers from someone at the other side of the world..
    malaysia..
    love you all
    ari

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa,
    Just wanted to stop again until your next posting and say I am keeping you all so close in my heart during this time! Your mother shared some more very positive news with me and I am so happy to know your Kraig is working his way back. Sometimes I am sure it seems such a slow journey but slow and steady will make it last!!
    Sending hugs and so many prayers your way..keep the faith! ♥ L.R.

    ReplyDelete