Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 64

So many signs that the summer is coming to an end. School starts in 3 days. The pools are closing. The days are getting shorter and cooler (I noticed last night it was dark at 8:00). The fair is in town. Tuesday is September 1st. The summer of 2009 is one I will always remember.

Yesterday I took my dad down to the kitchen/waiting room. I told him there was a computer in there and would he like to do anything on it. He said that he'd like me to pull up redsox.com and then I asked him if he'd like me to find some information on Remdog for him (Remdog is an announcer, for the Redsox, who has been away since May w/ lung cancer and depression. My dad LOVES him). He said yes. He hates having to wear that helmet (he will need to wear it anytime he is out of bed, until the bone is back in place and we are not sure when that will be) but I kept reminding him that all great athletes wear a helmet to protect their heads. Ivan---thanks for the Redsox sticker.

My dad continues to make progress. yesterday he was making his chair go by himself w/ his foot and hand. He grabbed the handrail and put his foot on the floor and thought he was getting up. I told him all in due time. Of course he's frustrated and confused at times. Still trying to piece things together and make sense of it all. He's hasn't been sleeping great either. He and I did a crossword puzzle together yesterday (he is a crossword guru) and he amazed me. I said "____ Moines, 3 letters" and he said "DES, D-E-S" and then I said "Air Force One......3 letters" and he said "jet" and "dispensable candy, 3 letters" and he said "Pez, they still make that stuff?" then I said "horse _______" and he thought for a minute and said "crap". Haha. That sense of humor shines through.

I know many of you have expressed your wishes to come visit him but we think he needs more time. We don't feel like he's emotionally ready to have visitors other than family right now. We'll let you know when he feels up to it. In the meantime, your continued prayers mean the world to us and him.

xo


3 comments:

  1. This made me cry...sorry I wasn't there to be a part of this...I didn't know until today that he didn't need the back (head) rest....wow~ What a difference a week can make. He was doing well today...a little confused last night...made me sad...but over tired. He hadn't slept they told me this afternoon in a couple nights. I left...he asked me to...so he could nap. Got some groceries...and will head back to see him at 6:30 to tuck him in. It's so difficult for him to piece things together..he gets very confused...it makes me so sad to see him struggle with simple things...strong and smart man that he was before this. God is good..and continues in his own time to answer our prayers...and so many (thank you...thank you) wonderful people are over the world are praying for him. We are so blessed in so many ways. This summer of 2009 is also a summer that I will NEVER forget. I just know that it's going to be an awesome autumn, and I hope that this year's holidays are truly some to remember. Love the photo....thanks for sharing...that's so Kraig. He hates the helmet...I know. Today when his nurse Cherylyn put it on him...she said, "I know that you hate this, Kraig...but.." and he finished the sentence..."it's protecting me..." Lol...he gets it. Love you..as always, great job on the blog. :)) xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear the prayers are being answered and your Dad is continuing to make progress. I think of and pray for you and your family everyday. Love much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Thank you for continuing to share with us..I know it has to be such an emotional journey for you...and I will tell you the same I told your Mom, take good care of you, cry when you need to cry...sometimes when we allow the tears to flow it makes room for the more positive emotions and energies! You are a strong lady, I know where you get that from. Your Dad is making amazing progress...baby steps...that is good...otherwise it would be just too overwhelming for him. My heart overflows with happiness for your family that he is even with you and now gaining, keeping his spirit alive, even peppering life with his humor!! Love never fails!!
    Peace and prayer to you all, L.R.♥

    ReplyDelete