Thursday, August 20, 2009

REHAB!!!


So last night I was visiting my Dad. He was out of it still and had a rough day. Around 9:00 p.m. he seemed to be sleeping comfortably, finally. The nurse came in and said they would be moving him to rehab tomorrow (today) so I looked around his room and began to gather some things that I needed to take home, such as the Hello Kitty CD player Delaney so graciously lent him ("Mommy, you don't need to buy a CD player for Poppy---I'm not using my Hello Kitty one--- he can borrow it" God love her) and as I looked around and said goodbye to one of my favorite nurses I was hit with this wave of emotion. I can't really put my finger on what it was. A mixture of things, I suppose.

Relief, that he was finally well enough to move on?

Fear, that he'd be leaving the safety of the hospital?

Sadness, that I wouldn't see those few nurses who were "angels" on the inside anymore?

Empathy, for my dad, for all he'd endured and all the hard work that lay ahead of him?

Thankful, to God and all of YOU who have been praying for him and supporting us.

7 weeks
53 days
1272 hours
No matter how you count it
It's time that none of us can ever get back.

BUT, he is finally going to get busy living again. I have tears flowing as I type this.....I have always been so proud of my Dad but I can't even begin to tell you the new found respect, love and pride that I have inside my heart and head for this man. He is truly a gem. His faith, his will, his prayers (& ours) and skilled Doctors and nurses have gotten him this far and his faith, strength, determination, fabulous therapists and his family will help bring him the rest of the way.

So happy to finally turn the page and start a new Chapter. This chapter I like and can't wait to see the wonderful things to come! As I type this, Dad is probably getting ready to be transferred into that ambulance that will take him to a place that will slowly bring him back to his life and all of us.

xo

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.Isaiah 40:31

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.Isaiah 41:10


10 comments:

  1. Lisa, even if I weren't already feeling emotional today this definitely brought me to tears ~ your words, your feelings, your emotions, your fears, your happiness, your pride in your father. Your parents have raised you well, you are a gift to him and the kind of love, loyalty and commitment you all have to family will make you all whole again. You are right that in these times there are days lost, unmade memories that will never be again but when one thinks of the alternative ending that could have been it is such a small price. I know you know that...
    Where you are heading next in this journey will have new challenges but if ever there were a family that could meet them it will be this one! You will make new friends, find new "angels", and we all await the reports that sing of the courage your father has as he meets each new task! No, it won't be easy for him and he may feel like settling for less some days..don't let him. Push him to his potential! Your mother said he is stubborn...make him use that to his advantage!! Tell him Team Kraig is cheering him on!!
    Keep the faith knowing you are never alone..ever! L.R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lila, and you've got me crying again. Yes, stubborn is an understatement and that is a trait I inherited from him and my children from me. It's not always a good trait but it definitely serves it's purpose when needed. Plus, I am a Taurus---so I am doubly stubborn.

    As always, thank you for your words and prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still praying! I can't wait to hear the new and exciting advances (no matter how small) your dad makes while he's in rehab.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    It's completely understandable that you are feeling all of those emotions that you described. As I've said before, you have been an amazing source of strength for your family. You need to let go at times and allow yourself to feel. Let others be the rock when you get weary. You have so many people here for you....always remember that.
    It is always scary to leave the security of a familiar routine, situation and place. But, I know that some beautiful miracles are going to take place at this rehab center. Your dad is on his way home, Lisa. More smiles and happy tears are to come for you.
    I love you and am here whenever you need me....call anytime.

    Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sweetie, I so understand the waves of emotions that you are experiencing and they are for all the reasons you said. As I read through your post and the comments of the others, I must agree. Strong family, strong committment to each other, strong love and faith. This is a whole new chapter. Some days there will be such exhaustion on everyone's part, but, all of you will push through and never give up. Anger will be part of the progression and journey. I know of this well. Make it work for Kraig and you. As each new task is accomplished, a gold star is added to the man that Kraig is. I am so happy that he gets to be close to home. What a relief that is for everyone!! I am still P U S Hing and hard! My love and soooooo many hugs for each of you. New friends and angels to be found at rehab. They are there...look for them :)

    Love to all,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears are just a flowing down my cheeks....I also have a newfound respect for Kraig my Merlot Man. I remember when he was studying for his reconciliation with the Catholic church. We had more arguments over old religion versus the new religion he was learning about. His faith was soo strong then and only got stronger as he entered the Catholic faith. God love him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear this wonderful news. Please don't stop posting to the blog, I check in everyday just praying for wonderful news like this. I don't even know your Dad but I knew he wasn't a quitter. I have tears rolling down my face as I'm typing this and can't wait for your Dad to know how many people care and are praying for him and all of you. Thanks so much for sharing your family with us. Hugs
    Jen(flickr)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad to read this ...
    It will be a great chapter Lisa , you'll see ..:)
    Keep the praying flow , always in faith
    Love,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lately the good has started, the positive after all that waiting and praying. The dark days are turning into the glow of the sun for Kraig and all your family. Hugs and more prayers are here for you,...always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lisa, I always write to the whole family, but this is for you!!!
    You are a remarkable woman!! Your family must be so proud of you!!.
    You seem to be a pillar of strength!!
    You are an inspiration to me and many others!!!
    There will be New Angels to take care of your dear father....and then of you and your mum and the rest of the family!!
    Stay strong!!!
    Lots of love,
    Greta~adores~pink

    ReplyDelete