Monday, August 24, 2009

Sorry I haven't updated!

Gearing up for back.to.school (1st and 3rd grade this year) and trying to enjoy these last few days with the kids, although I have to be honest, I'm looking forward to the break and getting back to my Photography business.

Physically my dad's getting stronger daily. He's been outside a few times and my mom said he really enjoyed that. He's been spending time in a chair, sitting on the edge of his bed and holding his torso up unassisted for a bit. I haven't been to any of his sessions yet but my mom says he has improved so much from when I last saw him try to do this in the hospital. He really seems to like the girls who are doing OT and PT with him and even gave one of them a smile when she asked for one.

Mentally he has his moments of clarity and then other moments not.so.much. For instance, yesterday, after a day of not speaking much and mostly ignoring everyone, he said to my mom "I'd like to get back in bed please" and at that time his mom and sister came in and my mom asked him if he knew who they were and he said "Geri" (his mom) and "Kathy" (his twin sister) and then he looked at my mom and said "Sherry". Then his mom said "you have a brother in Texas" and he said "Kevin". Then he looked right at his mom and asked "what happened?". He seemed to remember up to the point of going down for his stent surgery but nothing after that. They assure us this is pretty normal for what he's been through and it's going to take some time. That said, I wish his mom and sister lived closer b/c he really does seem to have great moments of clarity when they are present. It makes you wonder where his memory is, at this point in time.

I won't pretend that it's easy when your father doesn't seem to know who the heck you are---but you quickly remind yourself that it's not important right now, it's not about you and you imagine what he's feeling---but how can it not break your heart? It's all heartbreaking. I'm having moments of clarity myself these last few days and I'm realizing that NOW comes the hard part---for all of us---especially my dad. I'm willing to bet that what he's been through, can't compare, to what lies ahead. We need to stay strong, keep the faith, be supportive, PUSH and never quit.

I hope to make it in tomorrow or Wednesday morning to meet the girls from OT and PT and see how my dad's progress is going. More then.

As always, thanks for your thoughts and prayers!!

xo

My dad loves this song-- he sang it to his granddaughter Jillian when she born and through the years while he rocked her. Once he sang it to her new baby brother and she got so jealous. That didn't happen again.

7 comments:

  1. Lisa, I checked all day and then almost forgot to peek again tonight (which is already Tues. since I am being a night owl)..so glad I am by to read this update. So many positives and you are right, the hard work has just begun for him and by extension for you all. Thank God he is here to be doing it!! My heart goes out to him..his confusion...his struggle within. He has an amazing family though to guide, push, encourage, push some more, love, hold, hug him...how can he not be a success story. One day you will be closing out this blog because life is all that it should be again...and that will be a wonderful day! We shall miss you all as you all feel like family now..thank you for sharing this journey with us! Keep the faith, sweet lady. A friend, L.R. Enjoy school you little ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, the hard part is just beginning. He may never be exactly the same as he was but he will be something new and different. What a great family you all are, so supportive of him and each other. Don't ever give up hope! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Peggy V

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry I didn't get to read this last night. I went to bed early. Just seems that the days blur from one into another! I know you all understand that as yours have for a long time now. But, this is wonderful news! Even though there are times of non clarity, it's good. He has been working so hard, physically, emotionally and mentally for a long time and I think he just needs a break sometimes. My son did the same thing when he had his severe brain injury when he was 12. He is 38 now and still doesn't remember the accident. He used to ask about it often but never any more. He is well and you would never even know he had had the injury. I know this will be the same for Kraig. Yes, it's so hard when they don't recognize you. My dad recognized my sisters but not me for a while when he was undergoing chemo and on many drugs. After they discontinued a drug or two, it got better. Anyway, I'm trying in my own awkward way that it's okay for this to happen. I know it will get better and better as the days go on. Such an exciting time for the kids! New clothes, new school supplies, new teachers!! Please, take time to be with them and family. I check each day, several times during the day, for an update but it's more important that you have your life with family and with your dad. Thank you soooo much for what you do!!! My love and thoughts and of course still P U S Hing for you all. Give Kraig special hugs from me when you can. He is really making great strides. Keep working Kraig! Your faithful and loving family are with you each step of the way!!

    Love and hugs, xoxoxox
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lisa ~ It is wonderful that you are taking the time to provide updates. Your descriptions of Kraig's care, in the hospital and in rehabilitation, demonstrate that you are continuing your [family] journey with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control! Your family is wonderful and truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great news from day to day..
    im still around and keep reading this blog from time to time. But i had trouble with my id and confused with my password..
    But glad to read that he is recovering well..
    this will take more strength and patience to deal with him. he is a great man

    love
    ari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lisa it's been so long since I checked the blog, bless your loving heart, you are still keeping up. X
    As you know I'm caring for my sister with cancer, multiple myeloma, luekemia and Poems Syndrome (just found out that part today) Also my sis, her bones are so brittel she broke one rip and fractured many places on her right rib today so we had xrays done and she is now on a breathing machine. I haven't been on Flickr for a few days but wanted to let you know that I still have not forgot about you Lisa, your father, and sweet Sherry. All my love to all of you and Bless you all for P.U.S.H.ing. Still sending you prayers and will continue to do so 24/7/365.
    Skyler aka Saffron Sky
    "Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced." ~1 Chronicles 12:12

    "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance." ~James 1:2-3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news again , step by step , he is the same inside Lisa , he just needs some time ...
    hugs to all
    keep the praying flow and the PUSHing .

    Love,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete